WR Ahern Award recognises pick of the papers
Throughout the getaway period of time, HVAC&R Information is featuring the winners of the AIRAH Awards 2022.
The AIRAH WR Ahern Award recognises the ideal technological paper by an AIRAH member revealed in Ecolibrium in excess of the prior calendar year.
This year’s winner was Stefan Jensen, F.AIRAH, for his paper “Best-exercise vitality effectiveness benchmarked for refrigerated warehouses”, posted in the August/September 2021 challenge of Ecolibrium.
Jensen’s paper highlights the raising great importance of minimisation of immediate and oblique emissions from all refrigeration and air conditioning plant. The triggers for this are the Kigali Amendment to the Montreal Protocol that has scheduled hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) refrigerants for a world-wide phase-down. The second global initiative is the Paris Local climate Treaty targeting carbon neutrality by 2050.
The paper offers recorded particular strength intake values for a range of refrigerated warehouses created in Australia from 1999 to 2019. These refrigerated warehouses change widely in terms of volume, temperature blend, use, refrigerant choice, and refrigeration plant notion. Unique vitality consumption (SEC) is described as the power use for every m³ refrigerated quantity for every yr [kWh/m³*a].
Within the paper, Jensen demonstrates that regardless of the important distribute in SEC-values for a range of refrigeration plant ideas, a obvious and predictable pattern emerges for one form of refrigeration plant in distinct.
The paper points out the components that impact the unfold in recorded electricity functionality values. It does so centered on realistic power intake documents pertaining to the many plant sorts reviewed in the paper and it reveals what SEC-values are virtually achievable.
Last but not least, the paper proposes a very best-exercise electrical power general performance benchmark for refrigerated warehouses in Australia. This proposal is dependent on genuine recorded values for a lot more than 20 installations accomplished given that 2013 in numerous Australian locations. The function of the very best-follow proposal is to provide refrigerated warehouse operators with a benchmark to measure genuine power performances from and initiate advancement actions that tackle inefficiencies.
Other finalists in the WR Ahern Award provided:
- Simon Witts, M.AIRAH, and Sam Coleman – “Propagation of droplets in an HVAC system” (Ecolibrium – April 2021)
- Dr Paul Bannister, L.AIRAH Hongsen Zhang, Affil.AIRAH and Dr Stephen White, F.AIRAH – “Potential effects of evaporative cooling technologies on Australian office environment buildings” (Ecolibrium – Might 2021)
- Dr Craig Pregnalato, M.AIRAH – “Carpark mechanical ventilation – time to take functionality significantly?” (Ecolibrium – June/July 2021)
- Hao Huang and Craig Roussac, M.AIRAH – “Next-generation fault-detection for professional building HVAC systems” (Ecolibrium – November 2021)
- Grace Foo, M.AIRAH – “Planning for carbon neutral in current buildings” (Ecolibrium – Summer 2021)
The WR Ahern Award is sponsored by by Ecolibrium.
Additional info on the AIRAH Awards is available here.